The Other Side
- Author Juan Pablo Villalobos
- Narrator Timothy Andrés Pabon, Adriana Sananes
- Publisher Dreamscape Media
- Run Time 2 hours and 14 minutes
- Format Audio
- Genre Children’s / Teenage general interest: Places and peoples, Children’s / Teenage social issues: Migration and refugees, Migration, immigration and emigration.
Listen to a sample
What to expect
For this striking, stripped-down account of youth immigration, Villalobos interviewed teens at various stages of the immigration process to illustrate their stories—the physical and emotional difficulties of their travels. He then changed certain elements of these stories in order to protect the children’s identities. Each chapter brings forth the voice of one young immigrant’s experience, from crossing the Mexican desert to gang violence to the freezers at ICE detention centers. Together, these teen voices paint a vivid and thought-provoking picture of United States-Central American immigration and the American refugee crisis, which will resonate with young listeners, educators, and fans of Villalobos’s adult fiction.